You may have often read or heard that your core helps stabilise your spine and therefore, building a stronger core can decrease lower back pain. But from our experience, not many people realise what the ‘core’ actually is. When asked to create a picture, patients generally describe a wide belt formed by muscles around their belly and lower back. They refer to their abdominal muscles, their back muscles, and their transverse abdominis, but this representation is leaving out the most important drivers of ‘core stability’.
Pelvic-floor muscles play a major role in core stabilisation and injury prevention.
Pelvic floor dysfunction is extremely common; childbirth can be a cause in women but this is not just a women’s problem, it is in reality also widespread in men, who tend to have less awareness of what happens down there.
Pelvic floor dysfunction can also be a contributing factor in lower back pain as it forces different muscles to overwork and decreases trunk’s overall stability. It can lead to injuries in various sports, from running, to weight-lifting; and for the Crossfitters out there, this is the likely cause of the ‘peeing’ double-unders and box jumps.
Incontinence, pelvic pain, pelvic organ prolapse and coccydynia are the most obvious symptoms, but it may manifest with issues that seem completely unrelated:
- Do you have constantly tight hip flexors, adductors, hamstrings muscles and no amount of stretching seems to help?
- Do you struggle to maintain a solid trunk when squatting, deadlifting or lifting weights overhead? Or you have been told your ‘glutes don’t switch on’?
- Do you have recurrent achilles tendon or shin splints problems, or even ankle sprains?
- Is your balance poor?
All the above can be secondary problems with a common cause: breathing and pelvic floor dysfunction. Poor pressure management can lead to pain and compensations in other areas
So what can you do?
You can sign up to our ‘Core Control & Strength Series’, a tailored 8 week program designed to strengthen your core muscles and give you the control to do all the things you love without risk of injury of pain that is usually caused by a weak core.
The Core Control & Strength Series is perfect for:
- Office workers who are seated all day and need to get their core stronger to control or treat back pain.
- Gym-goers who want to ensure their core is strong enough to sustain the loads of their training.
- Athletes who are looking to perform better each and every day.
- Those presenting with any of the symptoms mentioned above.
When does the series start?
- One space 22nd March 2018 at 1pm*
- One space 23rd March 2018 at 7pm*
- Yet to be confirmed
Once you choose your space and sign up you will be booked in for 8 consecutive weeks on the same day and at the same time each week. *Bookings are subject to availability.
What is the investment?
The full series costs £700, which will be payable upfront or in two instalments.
What are the perks?
Being apart of this series means that you get 10% off all our other services and vouchers for the full duration of the 8 weeks. So if you fancy a massage or myofascial release to de-stress or relax you will benefit from the discount. You also have the option to buy gift vouchers for your loved ones with the same discount.
Let’s get strong!